Cleanliness


The old Puritan ethic said, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." This is one of the very rare instances where I agree with Puritanism. Cleanliness also lies at the core of Zen Buddhist practice, a traditional practice with which I more readily identify.

American culture has become slovenly. I feel it is an outward symptom of America's post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), a result of the narcissistic injury of September 11th, 2001. Hair styles, clothing styles and public spaces all display a greasy sloppiness that is indicative of low self esteem, lack of civic pride and depression. The parallel obesity, alcoholism and drug dependency come as no surprise.

The routine of maintaining the body and one's environment is part of any serious practice of personal responsibility and development. Making this routine a source of meditation and joy is a goal for the experienced practitioner. The inherent benefits of developing this aspect of personal practice are wonderful: Increased health, regular exercise, a sense of accomplishment, attractive appearance and more efficient use of personal space.

I have developed daily and weekly routines of cleanliness in my practice. For example, I have reduced the objects in my environment to make it easier to keep surfaces free of accumulated dust. Each object in my home has its place. After I use an object, I return it to its place. This applies to books, flatware, dishes, clothing, etc.. This is a daily practice.

Once a week, I do an afternoon cleaning meditation. I live in a small apartment. I thoroughly dust and wipe down all the wood floors. I vacuum the carpets. I wash down and disinfect all the surfaces in my kitchen and bathroom. Since I have to conserve my energy, I do this in stages which may take more time than it would for someone with more vigor. But, the meditative aspect is my concentration on the objects I am cleaning. An appreciation of the texture of wood. The structure and shine of tile and porcelain. The awareness of my body as I make the cleaning motions.

The process of routinely maintaining an orderly and clean environment mirrors the maintenance of an orderly and uncluttered mind. Japanese Buddhists have a key saying, "Person environment one." In my experience, this holds basic truth.